Sunday, July 31, 2016

Harvest Sunday

Sundays during harvest are catch up days.  Reynald spends most of the day servicing the combines and trucks.  He goes over everything to make sure there isn't something that one of us have missed.  Alicia spent a couple hours helping him with this project.

I spend the day catching up on house work and laundry, and spend some time in the kitchen, getting a few things ready for lunches for the coming week.  If I'm lucky, I can sneak in a little yard work when no one is watching!

We had a terrible wind yesterday, and my poor little pear tree suffered a huge loss.  Half of the tree is lost.  It's pretty discouraging, as I have never had this much fruit set on.  I guess that was part of the problem, the branches were so heavy with fruit, that it didn't take much to take down the branches.

One huge branch broke off, and a smaller one too.  And, my dad noticed that another large branch is cracked and ready to split off.  That will happen on Tuesday, when another big wind storm is predicted to happen.

There was so much nice fruit on this tree.  I just hate to see it go.

My pathetic little peach tree is giving its all before it dies off completely!  There's hardly anything left to this tree.

But look at the beautiful fruit that is on the one branch that is left!  It's not quite ready to harvest.

We harvested our garlic crop today.  It did well!  I put the wheel barrow in the barn tonight, and it smells so good....like garlic and soil!

A whole wheel barrow of garlic!

The heads are really nice.


Alicia and and I hand cut some wheat, with a scythe that we borrowed for our neighbor Les.  We are planning to use the wheat for decoration for Roni and David's wedding in October.  We both agreed that a 30 foot header, on a John Deere combine, was a much more efficient way to harvest!

These hand scythes are so cool.  One of them was hand made by Les's father, Eldon.  



Little Eric with a full load of cut wheat stalks that will be made in to sheaves in a couple weeks.

Baxter is always around to supervise!
The bee garden was getting a little too messy for my taste, so today I decided to mow it all down!  I am watering the area now, in hopes that everything that went to seed, will sprout and be pretty for fall.  It's an experiment, which may or may not work.  Stay tuned!!!!

With the wheat harvested, and now the bee garden mowed down, it looks so bare!

I'll have to hand pull the plants under the windmill and mixed in with the plow.

I took this photo on Saturday.  Thought it was kind of a neat shot, so I included it here, even though it wasn't Sunday work!!  Tomorrow we are back at it.  I really love my job!!!

Both combines and Alicia with her tractor and the bank out wagon.  You can see that it was a windy day!



2 comments:

  1. Your photos of harvest are so beautiful. I enjoyed each and every one of them and enjoyed showing them to Supreeya (Eve). I love the hills covered with wheat. Your pictures with the combines, especially the last one, are outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim liked the pictures showing the combine (scythes) they used to harvest 7 rai of rice in Thailand.

    ReplyDelete