Thursday, February 23, 2017

Back to work...

I went back to work in the shop today.  I've been living a life of leisure this winter, working on various indoor projects, sewing, and deep cleaning the house.  But, today was the day that I had to go help Reynald in the shop.  We have a couple massive projects that we hope to finish up by the time the snow all melts and it's time to get back on the tractor.

Here's what we're doing....

First up today for me was to start grinding the paint off the new harrow teeth so that I can hard surface the wear points.  Years ago I tried my hand at welding, and wasn't very good at it.  I'm about to try it again!  Things have changed in the welding world so I'm hoping to have better luck this time around.  Stay tuned for that report!

This is one section of harrow teeth.  There are 300 sections to do!

This handy electric grinder and I are going to become very good friends.

I lay out one box of 15 teeth on this little bench where I can quickly grab them and put them in to the vise to grind.

Here I am grinding!  It doesn't take long, but when you multiply it by 300 it becomes a rather large project!

Once all the grinding is done, Reynald is going to teach me how to weld!  Could be interesting!  
I have to set daily goals for this project, because it's too much to do in one sitting.  After I reached my goal for today, it was time for lunch.  Today was a cloudy, gray day, but these primroses that I bought in Spokane last week, brightened the whole front porch!

Rain clouds and fog rolled through off and on all day today.  

I love primroses!

They can take some cold, maybe to around 30 degrees F.  

I did gather all of them up tonight though, and brought them in to the garage.  Low temps are predicted to be in the lower 20's for the next few nights.  Just a little too chilly for these happy faces.


My afternoon project was to start fiddling around with the drills.  You may remember that we started this project last winter, but never finished.  This winter we HAVE to finish!  The pressure is on.....

2 comments: