Saturday, August 24, 2019

Morning Glory

One of my farm jobs is spraying morning glory, aka field bindweed, in our summer fallow fields.  I will have this job for as long as I can drive the gator and spray!  We have been treating our morning glory patches for as long as I can remember and my dad treated them before that.  This is a weed  you have to admire for its tenacity! 

Yesterday I spent all day on this project.  I'm quite certain that I missed more than one patch, and the ones that I found will be back two years from now, though not as healthy and vigorous.  I am definitely making progress, but I don't think we will ever completely eradicate this noxious, though pretty weed. 

The gator with the spray tank is the best way to apply product to the morning glory patches.  I love this little guy for spraying!

Usually the morning glory flowers are this pretty white color, but sometimes they are pink. 

I admit that I have a hard time killing them when they are this pretty, but if you let them go, the rhizomes roots will take over the fields, sucking up our precious little moisture and deeply cutting yields.  

No comments:

Post a Comment