Thursday, March 19, 2020

Clean Chicken House

Tuesday afternoon I decided to spring clean the chicken house.  I try to do this project spring and fall.  It was a lovely day and the chickens were happy to be outside, scratching around and picking at vegetable scraps while I was inside shoveling poo!  It's not a bad job really.

Getting started

The poop roost is about half full, which isn't bad.

Reynald designed the roost so that I could unscrew the ladder and then flop down the front of the roost for easy cleaning.

I just wheel the barrow under the roost and start scooping poo!


The poo is scooped, the floor is cleaned up and now I'm putting clean shavings in.

While I was cleaning, this hen just HAD to lay an egg.  She came in once, but then left because there was just too much disruption.  

A little while later she came back in and this time the need was urgent so she just sat down and ignored me and my cleaning!

The clean and restored roost, with a layer of shaving in the bottom for easy cleaning in the future.

And a happy hen!








No comments:

Post a Comment