Thursday, June 18, 2015

Mary, Mary, quite contrary

how does your garden grow?

I spent a little time yesterday morning taking a few photos of the garden and of course, more flower pictures!

I'm pleased with the garden so far this year.  There are even some tomatoes set on!  I'm not good at growing tomatoes so this is really exciting for me!

So, if you will once again indulge me, here are more than a few photos of the yard and garden.

Corn and greens.

Corn hill, a closer look.   Hoping it will be knee high by the forth of July!


This is an heirloom variety that Les' friend sent from Maryland.  They look terrific. 

I usually sow onions from seed, but this year I bought sets and they  are doing so much better.

Beets....one of our garden vegetable favorites.

This variety of potato is doing well.  I had some germination trouble with the red pontiac and the russets.  Not sure why.

Fruit is just starting to ripen.  Again, very early this year, but that's ok!  Who's going to complain about getting to eat raspberries early?

Red raspberries.  I've been eating a handful of goldens each day, for a week or more.  Picked the first three red raspberries two days ago.  Oh my goodness.... both varieties are so good!

The thornless blackberry is covered with blossom and fruit!  Probably won't be enough for a batch of jam, but that's ok.  They're so good eaten out of hand.

The pie cherries are beginning to ripen.  There's ample fruit.  Not as much as last year, which is fine.  It just means the cherries are bigger.  

It will still be a few weeks before these are ready, but a fresh cherry pie is in the near future.

A few sweet cherries survived the frost.  This is a purple cherry, so though this may look like it's ripe, it's not!  Needs to get that pretty sweet cherry purple.  The robins are happily pecking away at the fruit however!   

And now for some flowers..........

Love this poppy and so do the bees.  I think I'll save some seed and scatter it out around the windmill bee garden.

Here's that vigorous rose that I pruned so hard this spring.  She's so happy....

so happy that she is having more babies.  They will be ready for adoption next spring if anyone is interested!

These lilies are pretty but spindly.  They need to be moved this fall to a more sunny location in the yard.

Oh man, I love this rose!  I bought it two years ago and it's really doing well.

And this one too.  Bought at the same time.  I LOVE yellow roses!

Always seems to be a cat and a dog tagging along!



Also love this little gillardia.  I let these go to seed so that they will self sow.  They don't seem to be invasive, traveling only a little ways in the yard.

And now look at Mr. Mozart!

More Mr. Mozart!

And a close up.  I'll have a job deadheading this fellow in a week or so!

This is such a pretty lily.  Every year I intend to tie it up so it doesn't flop, and I have yet to do that!  Maybe next year!!

Another rose that is just covered with bloom.  This guy (Morden Fireglow)  will bloom all summer, though not quite this heavily.


Another favorite!  Elizabeth of Glamis is her name!

Dublin Bay with some veronica.

Happy lavender,  The bees love lavender so I've been moving seedlings out to the bee garden.  Nice that both the bees and I like the same thing!

4 comments:

  1. Alicia and I want a rose baby!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alicia and I want a rose baby!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I want one too. Do you ship to WY? ; ) Maybe the first thing I need to plant are a FEW raspberry canes. Do you keep them separate from the blackberries? I'm sure I'll be gardening by next summer.

    ReplyDelete