Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Tour of Projects

This post is a tour of projects!  This is sewing season for me and I am doing my best to ignore everything that really should be and needs to be done, in favor of hiding in my project room.  There is a sense of urgency to my work.  My time is limited and now that we are past the winter solstice and the return of the light, I can be sure that spring work is coming!

Here's what I have been working on since I parked my tractor the middle of November!  First, a couple finished projects...

I made David and Roni Jo each a Christmas stocking for a wedding gift.  When Alicia moved home and would have her own home, it seemed appropriate to make her one too!  I love these designs by Shepherd's Bush.

I also made David and Roni an advent calendar for a wedding gift.  Alicia needed one too!

Each pocket has a suggestion for something to do during the advent season.


Another finished project, and Christmas gift, again, for Alicia.....
At one point this fall Alicia mentioned that she would like a car quilt for her car.  I made this for her from a set of pre-cut 10" flannel squares.  It went together very quickly.  I like how it turned out.  Not every quilt project needs to be intricate and time consuming!

Kathy Woods does the machine quilting on all the quilts that I piece.  She did a wheat motif on Alicia's car quilt.  

 And now, a few that are in progress.

This is a wool quilt for Roni and David.  I will do the quilting by hand, sewing along each seam with a feather stitch.  This is relaxing and satisfying work for me.  

The safety pins are securing the back, the batting and top together so that I can do the hand stitching.  

Now this is a project that I started last winter.  The fabric came from my "stash".  I've been working on it the last few weeks and it's coming together nicely, though it's a bit time consuming.

This is what the finished product will look like.  The colors are a deep chocolate brown and a pretty neutral.  It's part of the seasonal quilt series!  A king size fall quilt for our bed.  


Another fairly simple quilt in the works.  This is the back of the quilt that I call "The Chenille Quilt".  I am planning to hand quilt this project, using an utility stitch with yarn.  I'll put it on a quilt frame to do the work, but before that can happen all the pieces need to be pinned together.  

Next the batting is laid on the back and taped down.

Then the top.  

All layers will be pinned like the wool quilt in the above photos.  I used an old chenille bedspread that I've had for years to put between the flannel squares.  I'm really looking forward to finishing this.  It's much different than anything I have done.

There are more of course, waiting in the wings.  Every year I endeavor to limit the purchase of new projects.  My intentions are good and true.  This year, I am making it my first and most important new year resolution.  I am going to try my very very best, not to get anything new for a whole year!

2 comments:

  1. You do beautiful work Linda, thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy! I really enjoy this type of creativity.

      Delete