Saturday, December 16, 2017

Vintage Christmas

When I was a child, the best part of the Christmas season was when the Harrington Lion's Club put up the town decorations.  Garlands were strung across the main street of our town, with lights and these wonderful giant ornaments, that didn't look so giant because they were quite high above the street, especially when you were a little kid!

The garlands with lights are still strung across the main street, but the giant ornaments have long been replaced.  A little over a year ago, someone decided it was time to dispose of those giant ornaments as they were just taking up storage space.  Fortunately, my friend Beth caught wind of this and suggested that the ornaments be sold for donation.  I snapped some up as quickly as I could!

A few days ago, Reynald and Alicia hung the ornaments on our house and chicken house.  They have been renovating them with new paint, wiring and LED light bulbs.  I love these so much.  They make me smile when I look at them, and remind me of the quiet simplicity of our small town. 

Hanging ornaments at the corner of the west bay of the house was Reynald's idea.



Charlie and Baxter had more fun playing than helping with the ornament hanging!


Or being distracted by the scent of some rodent that no doubt has taken up residence in the old drill.





Even the chicken house has an ornament. 

This one has one side that was broken beyond repair so Alicia cut a piece of plastic to put on the back side.

Baxter is certain that if he stares at the door long enough, it will open and he can gain entry to great chicken carnage.

Our festively decorated chicken house!
 Close up photos of the ornaments.....
chicken house

West porch.  These are two sided which means we can enjoy them from the living room in the house as well as outside.



1 comment:

  1. I have vague but fond memories of those decorations. I'm glad to see a few were rescued and put to good use.

    ReplyDelete