Sunday, July 15, 2018

I shouldn't have done it.......

.....but I did!  I started a new quilt, albeit with fabric from my stash, but a new project nonetheless.  For several years I have been wanting to make a wool quilt for myself.  I have been collecting wool fabric with this project in mind.  Mom has given me some lovely pieces that she purchased many years ago with the intent of making garments.  Some pieces are from thrift store finds, some are cut from wool suit pants that belonged to Uncle Dean and to Reynald.

I searched Pinterest for a block pattern and found one that I really liked.  Reynald helped me lay the block pattern out and choose fabric colors that he felt would coordinate.  Yesterday I started cutting and finished this afternoon, when I retreated to the cool basement after working outside in the hot summer sun for a couple hours.  

I won't get a chance to start sewing until this fall but when I get a few minutes to build a block or two I will be ready to go.  I'm so anxious to see if this turns out the way I have it pictured in my head.   

I wanted to make sure this block was going to work, so I drew it out on graph paper and then Reynald laid it out.  I like it at least at this stage!

Two of the three bins of wool fabric from which to choose. 

Some of the bigger pieces of wool, waiting to be cut.

Cutting!

Less than half finished.  

I made labels for the stacks of cut fabric so that I could keep track.
Once the blocks are pieced together, I will do hand stitching on the seams to quilt.  I'm thinking about doing different stitches, similar to a crazy quilt.  I have a couple months to contemplate.  Next project is harvest!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment