Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Patience my dear.....

We had a terrific farm fun day yesterday to celebrate the fourth of July.  We tend to be a pretty food centered group, so mostly all we did was eat and visit!  Since everyone that comes to this event loves to cook, it's plenty fine that all we do is eat and visit!!!   The following photos are the lunch menu.  I forgot to take photos of the dinner menu, which was equally fantastic and interesting!!

The "group"!

Cold salmon by Louise.  So good!

Chemyn's red white and blue deviled eggs.

I went all out and sliced a watermelon!!!

We ate on the east porch, out of the sun and wind.

Red, white and blue Christmas light bulbs for table decor.

Louise's artfully designed luncheon plate.

Chemyn's cherry pie made from Rolinco Road cherries.

Eva's raspberry tarts.  My dad ate as many of these as he could get away with!  

Perhaps the definition of tacky 4th of July food!  So tacky that they are cute!!!

Poor little bald eagle melting on a hot afternoon.

Visiting in the shade of the house after lunch and before dinner.
Today I got a good start on weeding my garden.  The purslane has come on with a vengeance, as has the lambs quarter and prostrate red root pig weed.  But it is the purslane that I am the most concerned about.  So today was a "hands and knee day", going up and down each row, pulling weeds by hand and putting them in a Home Depot, "lets do this" bucket.  Seemed mighty appropriate for the job at hand. Pulling weeds takes patience, but I have a fairly high tolerance for this kind of work.  It's quiet and clam and takes no brain power, so it's a good fit for me!

One row done, and a whole bucket full!

Mostly lambs quarter in this photo, competing with some late seeded corn.

Potatoes and purslane.   The girls were horrified last year when they got purslane in their CSA in Boston!  They wondered why they were paying good money for a bad weed!  

I have never eaten purslane.  I just can't bring myself to put it to my mouth!  Anyway, I made good progress today, getting half of the garden finished up, and it was the worst half.  Hoping to finish tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. WOW - those photos of your July 4 FOOD from various people . . . . my mouth is totally watering! Lucky you! ~James S.

    ReplyDelete