Thursday, July 18, 2019

Cherries and more cherries

We have two sweet cherry trees and one pie cherry tree and both were loaded with fruit this year.  The first to ripen were the purple sweet cherries.  The fruit was huge and super sweet.  I think we picked five apple boxes from that tree.

Very large and very sweet purple cherries.

A closer look at the purple cherries.  

Next we worked on the pie cherries.  My cousins from Portland arrived Friday afternoon and we spent ALL DAY Saturday picking and then pitting pie cherries.  They went home with 63 quarts to make in to pies, jam, cobbler, etc.  We picked about half the tree.  The birds may get the rest.  A different kind of harvest, (wheat!) is right around the corner and I need to focus on getting ready for that, so cherry harvest may be over.


Sunrise on pie cherry picking day.




This is what is facing us!

The sun coming up on pie cherry day. 
 The picking Crew!!!  Alicia also helped, but was photographing because my hands were cherry juice sticky!

Beth.....

Therese.....
Josie.....

Margaret.....

Chemyn......

Mom.....

Addison.......

Just getting started!

Therese chatting and pitting and me listening and pitting!

Margaret pitting and pitting and pitting and pitting......


The Rainier type sweet cherry was also loaded with fruit, though it was small but sweet as candy.  I lost track of how many boxes came off that tree but there are still two full boxes in the refrigerator in the barn!  Not sure what I am going to do with those!  I've given away just about as many as I dare.  It's become kind of like zucchini!

The fruit is small buy oh so sweet!  Not sure what I will do with these.  I think I will pit them and freeze and then make some jam this winter when I have a little more time for such things.


After a long day of cherries, dinner on the porch with an amazing sunset, was a real treat.







1 comment:

  1. Looks yummy!! Aunt Hy

    Brings back cherry picking memories from long ago.The picks looked so good I had to "pick" a bag at the store. Uncle Roy

    ReplyDelete