Friday, January 22, 2016

Next Up...

Next up in my sewing room is this quilt that I am making for my dad.  Two weeks ago he was diagnosed with cancer.  Kinda sets a person back on your heels.

This week he finished his first round of chemotherapy and so far, so good.  He has a fantastic medical team that is working with us.  We are so impressed.

My parents are both huge Gonzaga Bulldog fans.  I few months back, I decided to use all the scraps from the red and white car quilt that I made for Oliver, to make a red and navy quilt (Gonzaga school colors).  I found a pattern that I liked and set to work cutting.

This week seemed like a good time to piece together this quilt.  Happily, it has gone together very fast, and I even like it!  I wasn't sure........   My goal is to have it to the quilter by next week and back a few weeks after that so that dad can snuggle under it and watch the Zags play a few more games before the season ends.

This is one of the color strips, ready to be pressed.

A really cool technique, using a "jelly roll".  I made my own jelly roll by cutting 2 1/2 inch strips to sew together.

A closer look at the color blocks.

And this is kind of what the finished project is going to look like!  One more color strip to add and then one more solid navy strip.  I'll put a cozy flannel on the back.  
Stay tuned for the finished product!  It's so fun to have a project go together more quickly than anticipated.  Hmmmm........what to do next?

4 comments:

  1. certainly a lovely project and will be well used I think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A perfect way to give a mobile hug! Comfort and style, go Zags!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful work Linda and such a blessing for your Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful work Linda and such a blessing for your Dad.

    ReplyDelete