Sunday, September 11, 2016

Fall seeding

We've both been working from dawn to dark and beyond the last few weeks.  It's that time of year!

We started seeding Tuesday.  It's an exciting day, to be sure.  The start of our new year.  It all starts here.  A few years ago we started celebrating New Years Eve the night before we start seeding.  This year was no exception.

Champagne to start the new year off right!


I ran the coil packer over all the acres that are to be seeded.  This helps to firm up the seed bed, so that the drills go to an even depth when placing the seed.  It's kind of a fun job and leaves a neat design.

Faithful little Colt pulling the coil packer.


Meanwhile, Reynald is seeding like crazy!  Which means I have to stop my coil packing now and then to go get seed and fertilizer.  Fortunately, I still get quite a few packing hours in and I was able to finish that job Friday night.

Filling product at the home place.  This is the seed truck.  Behind you can see the blue truck which we use to haul dry fertilizer.

Both seed and fertilizer go in this cart.  There are two compartments, one for seed and one for the dry fertilizer.

The seed wheat is treated with an insecticide to combat wire worms, which love to eat newly seeded wheat kernels.  That's why it is pink!

Here's Josh, helping me fill my truck with seed wheat.  I remember when Josh was born!  I'm getting to be an old timer in these parts!


Yesterday I started mowing the straw that is left from harvesting the grain.  Alicia did quite a bit of the mowing before she left to go back to Boston.  There's about four days left, but again, I will need to stop and get product for my seed boy.  Keeping the drills going is the most important job right now. We are both hoping to finish our respective jobs by the end of this week.  Then it will be all wedding....all the time!  So much fun!

You can see un-mowed straw in the foreground, mowed straw in the distance and in the far distance is my seed boy, just getting started on the field at Pumpkin Center.

It's a dusty job.  Believe it or not, there is enough moisture, about two inches under the soil surface, to make the wheat seeds germinate.  It's kind of amazing!

Indy and I got to keep an eye on Reynald's progress while we were mowing straw in a bordering field.

1 comment: