Thursday, August 13, 2015

My forever job!

I am spraying morning glory, aka field bind weed, AGAIN!!!!  This is a task that I have been doing for 30 years and will be doing for at least another 30.  This plant will survive a nuclear explosion AND the zombie apocalypse.

So, for several days now, I have been going out in the mornings and spraying for 4 or 5 hours, attempting to at least limit the spread of this plant.   It's a hot, dirty, dusty job, especially this year with the drought.  But, I do believe I am making some progress after all these years.  At least that thought is what keeps me going!

The plants that are blooming are easy to see.  The tricky part is finding the ones that aren't.  So, I drive through the field, every 60 feet, following the tractor tracks that were made when we fertilized in June.  It takes a long time to cover the acres, but I have found that if I get impatient, I miss too many plants.  It's mindless work, really, but also allows you lots of "think" time.  I pretty much have all the answers to life's questions, figured out!

Here's what is looks like......

The faithful Gator.  It is such a work horse.  

The flowers are kind of pretty, announcing their presence with these bright white blossoms that you can see from a long ways away.  

Here's a closer look at the flower.  

This is a typical patch, though they can be much bigger or smaller.  

This is a plant that doesn't have a blossom and is much harder to see when you are driving along with the Gator.

This is what I look like after 4 hours on the job!

Next stop, a nice, cleansing shower!  I can only take being this dirty for so long......

1 comment:

  1. Reminds me of a cartoon character. You are a true farm girl.

    ReplyDelete