Sunday, August 2, 2020

First Day of 2020 Harvest

We started our winter wheat harvest this past Thursday July 30th.  It was a soft start, with just the three of us, me, Reynald and Alicia.  The full crew arrived the following day.  It was a good way to begin.  We could get the machinery moved and combines tested and set up.  I got my truck legs under me! 

Moving the combines on Rolinco Road.

And now on Zundel road, on our way to the Walter's field.

Reynald is getting ready to dive in to the Walter's field!

And first cut!!

Faithful Starbucks will take me up and down the road to the Templin Terminal for the next few weeks.  


I made wheat themed face masks for our family crew, which includes our virtual crew in Boston and Harrington!

Our Rolinco Road harvest crew.

Alicia truly is the field manager!

Dad and daughter.  This melts my heart.

Grandma Jo has been part of our harvest crew for longer than I have!  The last several years she has been our grocery runner.  This year due to Covid she will not be filling that role, but remains near the phone for frequent updates on crop yields and progress reports.  

David and Roni Jo and Ryan James are supporting from afar.  

This is Ryan's first harvest and he not happy that he is not here in person! 
This is our third harvest since my dad died.  His spirit is so prevalent in what we do day in and day out but is especially strong during harvest and seeding.  The year that dad died, my friend Lynnie sent me this poem.  I take it out and read it on the first day of our harvest.  I shed some tears as I read it, but that's ok.  It's a good thing to miss dad and it's a good thing to remember how much he loved the life that he lived and has passed on to us.


Off we go......


No comments:

Post a Comment