Sunday, January 4, 2015

January 4, 2015

The Snowy Day

We had a skiff of snow overnight.  Was forecast to snow all day today, but that isn't happening.  Nevertheless, it's so pretty out.  Have you ever noticed how quiet it is right after a snow?   When I went outside this morning with Baxter it was so dark, and so quiet, the windmill quietly pumping (pumping nothing!) away.

Here are a few photos of the snow that I just took.
entrance to the barn

the outhouse as seen through the weeping cherry tree

the house from the orchard  notice the blue tarp roof!
wheel barrows waiting for spring work!
This morning I started piecing a new quilt and I think it's incredibly adorable!  I wasn't supposed to start any new projects until some of the old ones were finished up but I just couldn't help myself!  My consultant, Beth, came up with the idea for this quilt.  

I bought the stick figure girl pattern several years ago and never quite knew what to do with them.  Beth suggested a quilt for the secret room using the figures and piece 30's reproduction fabric for blocks between.  I needed a few more stick figure girls so when the kids were home over the holiday, I asked them to draw a few more.  The original pattern has a girl for every month.  We added 9 more drawings, then colored with crayons, heat set them and this morning I started putting it all together.  It's not finished yet, and I can hardly stand not working on it until it is!

the start of the secret room quilt

a little closer view of the stick figure drawings

one of the drawings from the pattern   i think this is July

another pattern drawing   this is June i believe

one of the additions  this drawn by David  that's Baxter in case you couldn't tell!

another addition  drawn by Roni Jo   Leo, our cat

a depiction of the three women farmers in this family   drawn by Roni Jo

another addition of guess who?  Alicia of course, drawn by Roni Jo
The 30's reproduction fabrics came from a jelly roll that I bought at the Odessa quilt shop.  The pattern for the quilt is a modification of a quilt from the book Antique Jelly Roll Quilts.  It's a super cool book and I want to make almost every quilt in the book!  OK, so I might have fabric to make at least two more from this book, and I already have one finished, which is a gift.  Like I said, a super cool book!  And, since the patterns are based on jelly rolls, they go relatively fast.

So, I could babble on and on about projects and the January plan, but for now I am going to close and make an attempt at finishing our annual holiday greeting so that I can get those in the mail tomorrow. Not really sure why I have put off getting that project wrapped up, but today is the day....honest....no more excuses, or being so easily distracted by the doing fun things!!!!












No comments:

Post a Comment