Monday, September 14, 2015

Still seeding!

We are still seeding, though it's going much faster this year than usual.  With the wet soil Reynald is able to travel at a higher rate of speed.  We have five days left, if all goes well.  More rain is predicted for Wednesday night, which may slow us down a bit, but we won't complain about the additional moisture if it does indeed happen.

Thursday morning when I went out to do chores this amazing sky display greeted me.  The planet is Venus.  The scarecrow is Georgie!

This was so beautiful!  Be sure to enlarge when you view.


A little later in the morning I went in to Harrington to the school where I was invited to read to the second/third grade class.  Ms. Roberts said that the classroom theme for reading this year was "books as gifts".  I spent some time thinking about this while on the tractor, then totally got lost in the secret room, looking A book to read.  That was impossible.  I ended up with three!  I really didn't expect to read all three, but these kids are used to being read to, and love it!  It was no problem for them to sit patiently and listen closely to all three books.

Second and Third grade class.

These kids love to be read to.....


I read:

1. Winter Wheat by Brenda Z. Guiberson   The gift of doing a job that you love
2.Alicon's Zinnia by Anita Lobel    The gift of gardening and the gift of ABC's so that you can read!
3.  Homeplace by Anne Shelby   The gift of family

After reading, I cam home and changed in to my farm clothes and went to Odessa to get fertilizer for my seeding boy, then in to Harrington to get seed wheat.

This is the truck I get the dry fertilizer with.  I get 10 tons at a time. 

Back to the field, this is how we load the air cart.  This is putting the fertilizer in.  The wheat goes in the same way, with a different truck of course.  It takes about 35 minutes to fill, and then he can seed for 3 1/2 hours.  


The next morning, Friday, was exciting!  New baby chicks arrived in the mail!  It's a crazy time of the year to get babies, but I just didn't get around to it this summer.  25 little Barred Rock chicks are now cheep, cheep, cheeping in the front part of the chicken house.  Baxter is nearly crazy!!!

This is how the chicks arrive in the mail.

Their little shipping crate was really smashed up.

But everyone was fine inside.  

This is where the little girls will live for a week or ten days.  When they out grow this space, I will take out this round pen and give them the whole area that you can see around this little enclosure.

Little balls of down!


This cuteness won't last long.  Soon they will be getting real feathers.

1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous picture of the moon and Venus! love the little fluff balls!

    ReplyDelete