Sunday, February 18, 2018

Rolinco Road Test Kitchen

I spent ALL day in the kitchen today.  I really shouldn't have.  I am trying to decide what to take to the FFA alumni dessert auction next weekend.  I tried a couple recipes new recipes and only one gets to stay in the keep pile.  I made two different recipes of Ding Dongs.  One was good, the other goes to the chickens!  But, even the good one takes way too much time for my baking patience.

Cutting out the rounds after baking the cake.  There was more than one that didn't cut nicely.  

Cut out ding dongs, waiting to be filled and "ganached"!  


I also tried two different fillings.  This was the 7 minute frosting filling.  Good, but very sweet.  
This is the marshmallow cream based filling.  It was also very sweet but a good balance to the dark chocolate.


The keeper is Peppermint Patties.  The recipe says they are best out of the freezer and I'm sure that is true.  They may go to the auction, they may not make it that long! 

Peppermint Patties ready to go in to the fridge and then the freezer once the ganache has set.  


Earlier in the week I made some cherry pie galettes.  Tried a new pastry tart recipe which will also go on the keep list.  The rustic pies were good, but not very pretty, so I'm afraid they wouldn't bring much at auction.

A plate of experiments.  The taller ding dongs are the fail.  The chickens will enjoy them I'm sure!  The rest are keepers, though I don't anticipate making ding dongs again any time soon.
As I was trying these new things, and getting increasingly more frustrated as the hours ticked away, I wondered why I was doing this.  I should just make Uncle Dean's Everyday cookies.  They are everyone's favorite, I can knock them out in no time, and I know they won't fail like the Ding Dongs.......live and learn I suppose!




No comments:

Post a Comment