Tuesday, March 10, 2015

And We're off......

We started farming today.  I made my lunch and walked a few feet to my tractor, where Reynald was putting a few finishing touches on the harrow.  Got in, turned the key and nothin'.  Turned it again, still nothin'.  The starter went out!  Reynald was able to get me going, with the help of the battery charger, and a plea, not to turn off the tractor, or kill it on a hill!  A new starter is waiting for me to pick up in Spokane tomorrow.

So, that was the start of the farming day.  Harrows are high maintenance equipment.  I broke three clevises that hold the drag harrow to the main harrow.   I had a flat tire, which didn't matter too much, because I could still run with the tires that were left.  Reynald took the tire to Ritzville to have it fixed and returned in time to help with one of the clevis breaks!

At the end of the day he asked me to unhook the harrow from the tractor, so that he could hook up Indy tomorrow while I went to Spokane for a meeting and to pick up the starter.  I would have paid a lot of money tonight for an implement jack that works!  It's bit of a story, but the shorter version is that I had to go get the tonner, and the high lift jack and finally was able to lift the hitch enough to undo the pin and then drive away.  I'm kinda scared of high lift jacks, but I was not going to let that harrow beat me tonight!

My favorite mechanic, trying to figure out what is wrong.

Decided it was the starter.

Faithful Colt has rarely let us down.  He'll be good as new again, after tomorrow.

Finally, I can get started!

The day before yesterday I took a red plate out of the cupboard, and realized that it was well in to March and I had not changed out dishes!  So, now we have green and yellow for the rest of the month!  Looks like a daffodil!!

Yellow and green Fiesta Ware for March!

And, my favorite color of crocus began blooming two days ago.  I really love the purple ones.  Yellow is fine, white is ok, but purple is my favorite.



Also blooming is the daphne bush that Connie gave me a few years ago.  There are some fragrances in this world that just knock your socks off and this is one.  Lilacs are another, mignonette is another, and certain roses.  I think it's wonderful that my favorite flower fragrances space their bloom time throughout the year!

Daphne......so fragrant and beautiful!

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful crocuses!! Its finally warming up in Boston :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice photos mama!! I have indoor paper white daffodils that should be getting ready to send up flowers soon!

    ReplyDelete