Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Practice

Next week the Missoula Children's Theater is coming to Harrington to work with our school students. They will be putting on the play The Little Mermaid.  We have volunteered to house the two gals who arrive on Sunday and will be here all week.  I volunteered to play for the production, which means I have had to spend some time on my piano bench.

I haven't even touched the piano since this time last year.  I can tell you, that it is definitely NOT like riding a bike.  My brain and my fingers are having a real hard time communicating!!  It's good for me though.  It's better than doing Lumosity.com!!!

Not only am I having a hard time coordinating my brain and my fingers, I am having a hard time just making my fingers work.  So.....I went on line and found these Hanon exercises that I used to do in high school.  You could download and print for free.  I did the first 20 exercises, in C major.  I am trying to play through these every day......not all 20.....goodness......I started with 1 thru 5.  Each day I add two more.  Got the metronome out and have it set at a very slow speed!

Kind of a scary sight for me right now!

The score for the production and the Hanon exercises!

I finished piecing the spool quilt day before yesterday.  I like how it turned out.  It will be a good practice quilt for my new quilter.
Finished spool quilt.

A little closer look at the blocks.  

And speaking of my new quilter and practice, he has an appointment on Thursday to quilt his first quilt.  He's going to start with the tumbling blocks quilt, that will be a throw for the motor home.  This morning I marked the border for him.  He wants to do a straight line in the border, mirroring the block.  The really cool thing is that the cutting table that my dad made for me was wonderful for this project.  I pulled it out from the wall, flipped up the extension and nearly the whole quilt fit!
Cutting table with the motor home throw.

Marking the border
  And, one last thing, if you will indulge me a little bragging......here is a link to an article that will appear in the upcoming issue of Progressive farmer on Alicia.  http://dtnpf-digital.com/publication/?i=246968&p=56    Kind of fun!!!

1 comment:

  1. You can do it! Slow and steady :) thanks for the plug ;)

    ReplyDelete