Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Christmas decorations

Following quickly on the heels of the Signs of Spring post, comes a Christmas decorations post?

Sometimes when we are working in the shop, I have a few minutes to spare, while Reynald is thinking about what to do next or how to do it.  I like to have a project to work on, so that I am not idle.

These Christmas ornaments are from my childhood.  Each December, the Harrington Lion's Club would string beautiful evergreen boughs laced with bright, multi-colored lights, across the main street of our small town.  Then they would hang these happy ornaments on the garlands.  They were lit internally.  It was always so exciting to come to town and see the Christmas decorations up.

A few years ago it was decided that these ornaments were just too tired, and in need of too much repair so they were retired.  They sat in the basement of city hall until someone came to the conclusion that they needed to cleared out.  Beth caught wind of this and suggested that the Lion's Club offer them for sale.  They thought she was crazy, but low and behold, they all sold, to people like me and her, that are crazy for all things vintage!

So, my "between work project" has been to clean up the ones that I drug home, and to repair where necessary.  I'm so looking forward to displaying these on the porch this coming December.

This is two sided, so there is this smiling Santa face on both sides.

There are a few owies, but then who among us doesn't have a few, after all these years?

This is also double sided.  I've cleaned this up and replaced the light inside with an LED bulb.

I only have one of these stars.  

There are three of these.  The open circle has a stained glass look insert, made of plasic.

Beth stripped hers and then repainted them in the original red.  

These are the inserts.  Again, you can see a few owies, but those add character, and won't be seen when they are hung up and lit.

My box of parts for the ornaments!  
There is one more big round one, but one side is completely missing.  I think I can find some plastic that we can cut and place on the missing side.  I think I'll hang that one in the peak of the chicken house, since it will be one sided.  So much to look forward to!


No comments:

Post a Comment