Monday, March 27, 2017

Planting garlic

A short break in rain showers today so I took advantage of the partly sunny day and planted the garlic.  I had to turn the soil by hand as it was too wet to get out the rototiller.  I'm happy that I don't have to turn the whole garden like this.  It may not have been the smartest thing to do right before we worked on the harrow.  By the end of the day my back was not happy with me, but it will soon get over it!
Turning this little patch of soil with the fork, to get ready to plant the garlic

This is a head of garlic that Stacy Timm Rasmussen gave me last fall from her CSA.  I have had it in the fridge all winter, waiting to plant it.  I have no idea what variety it is, so I'm going to call it #Stacy because I love her Instagram posts so much!

These are some bulbs that I saved from last years garlic crop.  

The cloves are quite nice and large.
I have been planting my garlic in the early spring, thinking that winter would/could kill off the cloves.  Obviously that is not true, as is evidenced by this very happy looking volunteer garlic plant from last year.  

The sky was amazingly beautiful today.  Please indulge me while I post more than one pretty cloud photo.




I don't know how this bird nest has survived the days and days of high winds that we had this winter and spring.

But here it is, safely lodged in this quaking aspen in the pasture.


The chickens were enjoying the sun today.

The rhubarb is starting to come through.  Don't you think this would be a good time for a slice of bee-bop-a-ree-bop rhubarb pie?  Can hardly wait for those first stalks to be ready for harvest.
Rhubarb!!! 
Since it's been so cool the last few weeks, the crocus are lasting longer than usual.  It's so nice to look out the window and see these bright and happy spots of color in the flower beds.



I really like these miniature iris.  
The daphne is blooming also.  I wish you could smell this heady fragrance.  Such a treat.

I thought if I got close enough, maybe you could catch a whiff!

My little ceramic figurine is happy to see the sun today, just like the rest of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment