Friday, April 29, 2016

A Room with a View

We had a little shower of rain today, and it was cloudy all day.  I haven't raised the shades in the west bedrooms for several days, so that the sun would not shine in and fade the quilts on the beds, the carpets, etc.

Today when I raised the shades, I looked out the window to the north and was taken by the view of the flowering shrubs and plants.  Here are a few images.





Fruit and vegetables are progressing nicely.  We've had three meals with asparagus so far, one of them tonight.  It tastes so different when it's only minutes cut to table!  The fruit trees are making fruit, and the blueberry bushes are covered in bloom.  No shortage of work for the new honey bees!

Dwarf blueberry blooming like mad!

The rhubarb is huge!

Sweet and tender asparagus for dinner tonight.

Sweet cherries are filling out.

Rhubarb from one plant.  I'll cook this down in to sauce and then can it tomorrow.


And, to my surprise, a rose is blooming, in April!  This is one that I didn't prune last month when I was working on that project.  Everything is so far ahead....except me!

A very happy and healthy rugosa rose

I've never had a rose bloom in April before!


I managed to get the garden rototilled today, first time over.  I'll do it again, to smooth out the soil, before I plant.  It was time to get that chicken manure worked in.  It had a distinct odor!

The garden before rototilling

and after.....

I'll go over this one more time to even out the soil, before planting.


I'll close with a few photos of our new scarecrow.  Her name is Helen and I think she's just darling!







1 comment:

  1. wow, so beautiful! I can't believe how far ahead you guys are from us!!

    ReplyDelete