Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Break down

So, this happened yesterday.  As I was happily mowing along mid afternoon, I heard a terrible clunking sound and looked around to see my main drive PTO shaft flailing madly about.  I quickly shut off the PTO and drove to the shop where the head mechanic helped remove the damaged shaft.

This is supposed to be straight, not cocked at this crazy angle.

Here's Reynald assessing how to remove the shaft.  It wasn't an easy project.

But, we got it done!



It looks funny with out the PTO shaft hooked up between the tractor and the mower.
I drove to Odessa where a new one was waiting for me and when I returned the second in command mechanic was available to help the fellow with the new install.  I was up and running again by 5pm.

Robert at the parts counter at Walter's Implement in Odessa said, "just when you get all the bills paid and you think you're home free, this happens!".  I really like Robert at the parts counter at Walter's!
Putting the new PTO drive line back on.  

Making sure there is plenty of grease in the shaft case.

And look at that nice straight drive line!  $3,600 dollars, not counting labor, I was back in business!

No comments:

Post a Comment