Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Remodeling

Saturday was a beautiful fall day and I took advantage of the warm weather and spent some time cleaning up in the yard and also decided to take on a remodeling project that I have been thinking about all summer.  One of my flower beds has quite a slope to it and when I water with the drip irrigation, the water runs off and down the ditch by the lane, instead of soaking in to the ground where the plants can use it.

So, I decided to do add some rock retaining walls to help level out the slope a little.  Terracing the slope.  I thought I would have enough rock, but I don't, so in the spring I will have to gather a few more to complete my vision.

It's a little hard to see how much slope there is to this bed, but it's quite significant.

I put these rocks in but still need to fill in the soil to level the bed.

Another shot of the rocks and the area that needs to be filled in.
I also moved a retaining wall that has been in place for several years.  The sprinkler control box was covered with soil, in fact, I forgot it was there until I was trying to dig out some phlox that had overgrown and overstayed it's welcome.  So, I moved the wall, moved some soil, moved the phlox and now I think we will all be happier!

There's not much change here, I just moved the rocks a little then filled in behind them, with the soil.  Oh, and I moved this little White Fringe tree in to the space where the phlox was growing.  It has been struggling for the last few years in the previous spot.  I'm hoping it will like this spot better.  

No comments:

Post a Comment