Friday, February 20, 2015

Beginning, Middle and End

Worked outside all afternoon.  It was another glorious day, but the winds of change are coming tomorrow.  30mph winds of change in fact!  Good thing I got all the thatch picked up and put on the flower beds.  I'm hoping that the damp night tonight will help settle it and it won't all end up in the pasture!

This morning I started cutting a new quilt!  This will be for the sewing room, for one of the twin air mattresses that we set up in that room on quilt retreat weekend.  There are always two beds in that room on retreat weekend and sometimes three.  As you might imagine, I have fabric to make three twin size quilts!  It's kind of a sad reason that I have this fabric.  One of our favorite shops, The Buggy Barn, closed their doors this fall.  Of course they had all their fabric way on sale, and of course Lynnie and Beth and I had to go.  We went near the end of the sale and got in to some really good deals!  (one can always justify these purchases if the fabric is WAY on sale!)  Anyway, we will miss the Buggy Barn a lot and are sad to see them go.

So here's the start of the first twin size, sewing themed quilt. for the sewing room.
 
Starting a new quilt.  I just sweep all the clippings on to the floor.  This makes my mom crazy!  She can't stand the mess!!  I pick it up!  When I'm all done!!!
This is the finished block.  Beth has trained me to make one block, just to make sure.  

And, I'm doing my best to work on the Feathered Star Christmas quilt for our bedroom.  As I said earlier, it's a tedious, precise block, and my brain can only handle working on it for short periods of time.  I'm determined to finish it though, in time for Christmas 2015.

Started making "feather sets" this morning.  

It was easiest to just throw them on the floor once they were finished.  

This is what they will look like once they are pressed.

Various parts to the block, bagged and ready to go

A closer look at the parts!

And finally, this is the finished Mystery Quilt.  Our friend Brenda came up with a fun idea last winter and designed this quilt.  Every two weeks we would get a pattern to stitch, and the instructions for making the surrounding blocks.  Once I finished the predetermined blocks and stitching, Reynald decided that the quilt needed to be bigger, so Brenda helped me find more blocks to stitch and also charted out the nine patch blocks to keep the pattern going.  It's pretty cool, and I'm happy with it, but it turned out to be a much bigger project that it was supposed to be.  It will go in the guest room for a fall quilt.

The finished Mystery Quilt.   It's not quilt this yellow in real life.  The brown is a dark cocoa brown.

Some of my favorite stitched blocks.



I love this one.  The puppies look kind of like Baxter!


All the stitched blocks have a basket.  This is a bee basket!

This is the center block.  

Tomorrow is another Farmer's Wife work day in the barn.  Looking forward to seeing everyone and what they are all working on.  

1 comment:

  1. It does make me crazy to throw the scraps on the floor - but that said I am NOT nearly as compulsively neat as my daughter!

    ReplyDelete