Tuesday, February 10, 2015

S.S. Rolinco quilt

I finished the motor home quilt!!!  I really, really love how it turned out.  Reynald could not wait to take it over and put it on the bed.  We both think it looks really nice.  It was a fun project.  I only slightly under estimated how much time it would take.  When Reynald chose the pattern I thought, "oh that will be quick and easy"!  Not quite so, but worth the extra effort.

this life preserver just cracks me up!

the finished quilt   it's called woven ribbons   your eye either picks up the diamonds or the ribbon weaving through the diamonds

K, now I have a decision to make.  Can you see the unworked part of the field around the windmill? This is as close as we can get with the farm equipment.  There is no way I can leave that piece of ground unused!  Absolutely no way!!!  All winter I have been going back and forth between planting that piece of ground to a) a bee garden with flowers that the bees love and that will self sow year after year, or b) the squash patch.

Here are the pros and cons that I have come up with:
Bee garden pros:
1.  good for the bees to have some extra flowers to work
2. it would be very pretty
3.  a good way to thin out some plants from the main flower beds

Bee garden con:
1.  more weeding!
2.  more weeding

Squash patch pros:
1.  would move the squash out of the garden where it is a terrible nuisance
2.  would keep down the weeds once the plants find their legs and start to run
3.  it would be pretty, plus more blossoms for stuffing!
4. I don't think it would be as much work to clean up in the fall as the garden

Squash patch cons:
1.  I'm afraid I would plant too much.  We already have more squash than we can eat.

You may be asking, as I am, couldn't you do both?  Perhaps.  Perhaps.  I need to give that some more thought.  It's just that once that squash plants start to run, there's no stopping them and I'm afraid they would stampede right over the bee flowers.  But, I'm thinking about it!

windmill garden area

it would be the unworked part of the field that I would be planting to something

It was so nice outside today that I couldn't stay in the house.  Besides, I needed to plant my garlic.  I accidentally figured out that it works just as good to plant garlic in the early spring than  in the fall.  Maybe better for our area. The accident is that I didn't get around to planting two years ago and had to punt!  Turns out it was an ok accident! You don't have to worry about winter freeze out.  But it has to be early and this year, with this pineapple express that has settled in, I was able to get it in the ground today!

planting garlic from bulbs saved from last year's crop

Baxter helping out!

After I planted I put a thin layer of straw over the top just in case it gets cold again.  It is still February after all.

Next I decided to repair the brick path  You can probably see how the edges have gotten kicked or knocked with the rototiller, or whatever.  That uneven edge drove me nuts all last year, but I never got myself organized enough to fix it.  Today I got over half of it fixed and it looks so much better.  As always, I get a lot of help with these projects from Leo and Baxter!

fixing the side bricks on the path   the back end is finished  you can probably see where I stopped

Baxter!

Leo keeping an eye out for Baxter   Notice the straw that I put over the newly planted garlic cloves

Leo on one side of the garden path

and now on the other side!  he loves to sit up on the posts and supervise!
I will tell you the story of the blue roof another time!  I think I have chatted enough for one day.  Once I get going it's hard to shut me down!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Mama I love the motor home quilt! Beautiful! The pictures of Leo are so cute :) I miss my kitten!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your blog and thequilt is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete