Tuesday, April 21, 2020

From the sewing room

I've had a productive winter in my sewing room.

Some photos of completed projects and a few in progress.....

This is the cross stitch part of a Christmas stocking that I made for Ryan James.  Of course I forgot to take a photo of the finished product.  I do not do the finishing, I send these stocking out to have that work done.  

My friend Brenda tipped me off to this cross stitch project and I loved it!  I ordered the chart and had a wonderful time making it.  Now to have it framed.....

Again, my friend Brenda leads me down a path of projects.  She sent me a link to a youtube video on how to make a rug out of a jelly roll.  First, is to make the jelly roll in to a rope.  

Then sew the rope in to a rug.  Simple as that......many, many hours later!

The beginning of one of the movie room quilts. 

And the completed quilt!

I had extra fabric, and what would I ever do with movie themed fabric so I used up all the extra on pillow slips for the movie room.  



Some time in November a dear friend of Roni Jo's emailed me and asked if I would make a quilt for her and her brother, using clothing from her mother who had passed away around two years ago.  Of course I said I would be happy to do that.  She went through her mom's closet and chose all the articles that she remember her mom wearing.  Jen boxed up the clothing and sent it to me. 

Beth helped me decide what quilt to make.  One afternoon we went through and cut all the clothing apart.  It was harder than you might think, cutting up perfectly good pieces of clothing, but I told myself that this was just a different way of "wearing" it.

This project was quite a process.  There were several different types and weights of fabric.  I found that each piece needed to be stabilized before cutting.  In the end, I was very pleased with how these quilts turned out.  I know they will bring a smile and perhaps a tear or two to Jen and her brother's eyes and they remember their mom, snuggling under a quilt. 

Stabilizing the fabric from the clothing before cutting in to squares. Notice the large scrap pile on the floor!

Squares of fabric cut and stacked, ready to piece together.

There were two fleece pullovers, this yellow one and a red one, that I made in to pillow slip covers.  

Starting to piece.  

And the finished products.


Nicki at Heartbeat quilting did the custom machine quilting on both quilts.  As always, she did a fantastic job, but these projects are particularly impressive.  


The last of the movie room fabric.  The print is movie reels.  Again, what was I going to do with it so I made another jelly roll rug.

Both rugs in the tub room.

And yet another jelly roll rug because I had the jelly roll and didn't like it all that much.  I would have done this one a little differently color wise, but it's ok.    K, I'm done with jelly roll rugs now.

So I pulled out a 30's reproduction quilt that I had cut several winters ago.  These are hands down, my favorite fabrics.


Getting started.....



Adding some more......
And finished piecing.  Still need to get it to the Kathy to quilt.

New project....a pineapple log cabin to be used as a winter quilt.  Cut, boxed and ready to work on next winter!

Current cross stitch project.  I deeply underestimated the time this one would take.  It's fun though.  Looking forward to the finish.  

No comments:

Post a Comment